STEPS TO SPEAKING
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE GROUPS FOR LATE TALKERS
New Parent Only Evening Sessions - starting 27th February 2017
get your child's talking on track
Steps to Speaking is a speech and language group programme for families with children who are late to talk.
The groups are aimed at children who:
- are under 5 years of age and not at school
- use fewer words than other children of their age
- have difficulty joining words into sentences
- do not have a diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorder
We offer the groups in two formats; evening sessions (for parents or childcare professionals only) and daytime sessions (for children and their parents)
What Parents who have attended say
"we have seen a noticeable change in out daughters speech over this course. She is more confident and willing to speak in longer sentences"
"now I have techniques to use, he has become less frustrated and more confident to use words"
"excellent group to provide you with the strategies you need to help and support your child"
"love the take home sheets - helps remind me what to do and to pass along to nursery"
The groups are run by two friendly, experienced Speech and Language Therapists (and Mums) Sarah Scarbrough and Sarah Kane. We originally met working for the NHS in early years clinics in central London. We both moved out of London and started our own families and independent practices. Following a chance encounter in M&S with toddlers in tow, our partnership was formed. More information on each of us can be found using the links below:
Sarah Kane - www.facebook.com/toucantalk2/
Sarah Scarbrough - www.speakwithsarah.com/aboutme/
ABOUT the Daytime groups
The programme consists of six, one hour sessions. There are six places per group. Each session has three components:
- A discussion on one or two strategies which promote language development. One of us will lead this discussion whilst the other therapist undertakes language enrichment activities with the children.
- An opportunity for you to practice the strategy with your child.
- A group activity run by the therapists targeting early language skills.
Next groups start: April/May 2017 - please contact us for further details. The course costs £120.
ABOUT THE EVENING GROUPS
The programme consists of five, one hour sessions. There are a maximum of eight places per group. In each session there is:
- A detailed discussion about strategies which promote language development.
- Information on how children develop language and what to expect at different ages.
- An opportunity to plan, with the therapists, how to tailor the strategy of the week to your child.
- A weekly handout summarising the strategy and how to use it at home.
- An individual discussion regarding appropriate next steps for your child.
- An opportunity to have a drink and a nibble whilst doing all of the above!
Next group starts: 27th February at the Kingswood Arms, KT20 6EB. Course costs £100 for 5 weeks booked in advance or £25 per session. We strongly recommend attending all sessions.
To book a place or for information please contact us on:
Sarah Kane: 07971584019 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarah Scarbrough: 07973280937 - email@example.com
More information on: www.facebook.com/stepstospeaking